The tensions in the Middle East are far too complex for most Americans to comprehend. What is happening in Israel and Gaza today will be written in our next generation's history books. Who they blame will depend on where Read more
Now that my power is back from the hurricane, I decided to goto the Rockaways on Long Island this Saturday to help out with the hurricane relief. It’s a little over an hour drive from me. I was a little worried about wasting gas because Long Island has a shortage and the lines are approx. 4-6 hours at most stations….but I said “screw it!”
As I got closer to the town, it started to hit me. The destruction was horrible and it made me feel quite upset but thankful for my family at the same time. I started seeing the piles of debris in front of houses getting bigger and bigger as I got closer.
My destination was a church called St. Frances De Sales were I started out lifting heavy boxes, moving and sorting clothes and food as the rush of desparate residents shuffled in to live another day without power and deal with the cold weather. It felt great to help organize things as well. I was able to ask other volunteers what was moving the quickest and I found out the popular items everyone wants
UPDATE : If you are from out of town, ship to these addresses :
Gerritsen Beach Fire Department (GBFD) 52 Seba Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11229
You can mail clothes, diapers, shoes, underwear (clean!), bras, brushes, soap, goods, etc to 1 beach 193rd street, breezy point, ny 11697, USA.
You can mail fire and construction equipment (gloves, bags, hoods, boots) to 1 fireman’s plaza, breezy point, ny 11697 USA.
I felt the need to take pictures around the neighborhood with my iPhone because I didn’t seem to get the same experience from mainstream TV media. Many people have lost their homes to fire or water damage. There is limited shelter space so many of these families have to stay in their houses with no heat. It’s especially hard on the little children who don’t understand what’s happening and elderly who can’t help themselves.
IPHONE PICTURES OF THE ROCKAWAYS AFTERMATH
There is still a lot of problem areas like the Rockaways that have similar situations. According to the Huffington Post, the death toll in New York alone is now 41 and about half of those are in Staten Island which reportedly got hit the hardest out of all the boroughs. New Jersey death toll is now 22 and the shore got hit especially hard.
NYC Marathon or Save Lives
There was also a lot of controversy over Mayor Bloomberg’s decision to keep the famous NYC Marathon scheduled for this Sunday. Many people in New York shared the same criticism saying it was not the time for a marathon especially when life-saving resources would be diverted from the recovery.
Mayor Bloomberg decided yesterday to cancel the marathon due to the negative feelings from the public and yet he still insists that the marathon would not have taken resources away which is hard to believe. This quote from a Breitbart article explains the anger that was building up from families in Staten Island where the NYC Marathon was supposed to start :
“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”
Photo Credit : New York Post
The Examiner had a great idea about using the generators for gas stations but what’s really startling is hearing that these generators could power 400 homes. The part that really kills me is that I want to know where the generators are today. I couldn’t find one article about what happened to the generators…so where are they now and are they saving people or are they sitting in a warehouse?
The most important thing to take away from this storm is that we should always respect mother nature and try to be as prepared as possible when it does happen. It is great to see how many people come to the aid of their fellow neighbors when tragedies like this strike a community. I believe these catastrophes only make us stronger in the end. Please try to help anyway you can and don’t let the media allow you to forget as the election nears. Stay close to these links and check in to see the progress even after your news channel stops reporting. If you want to help families in need, here are a few links whether its donations or volunteering :
POLITICS SCHOOL : What happens if the President were to die? Who would take over? It’s a very interesting question because we all know the Vice President would take over, but lets say this happens over and over. Obviously it is unlikely and probably impossible but the United States has a back up plan for each person down the line. Have you ever wondered the succession of that list. Well here it is.
Here is the order of Succession
The Vice President Joseph Biden
Speaker of the House John Boehner
President pro tempore of the Senate1 Daniel Inouye
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner
Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta
Attorney General Eric Holder
Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar
Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
Secretary of Commerce John Bryson
Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis
Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan
Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood
Secretary of Energy Steven Chu
Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki
Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano
Red Skeleton may have been a funny man but no one defined the words of our patriotic pledge better than he did. He talks about one of his teachers from school who explained what every word meant to his students. Every time I watch this I try to think of the few politicians that truly honor these words. It’s something we should all watch from time to time to remind ourselves what really made America so great.
“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
As the presidential election nears, who can you really trust? According to Politifact, both President Obama and Governor Romney have been caught in plenty of lies. So it makes you wonder, will it really make a difference who you vote for? What happens if the reason you vote for one of them doesn’t get fulfilled? According to Politifact, Obama broke over 80 promises from the campaign trail in 2008. In case you didn’t know, there are many other candidates running for president this year. You can see a list of all candidate running for president here even though mainstream media doesn’t talk about them.
MITT ROMNEY LIES
1. “Regulations have quadrupled. The rate of regulations quadrupled under this president.”
2. “Redistribution” has “never been a characteristic of America.”
3. “Under Obama’s plan (for welfare), you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check.”
4. President Barack Obama is “ending Medicare as we know it.”
5. Ronald Reagan’s philosophy of “peace through strength” is why “the Iranians released the hostages on the same day and at the same hour that Reagan was sworn in.”
6. Says in the 2012 State of the Union address, President Obama “didn’t even mention the deficit or debt.”
7. The U.S. military is at risk of losing its “military superiority” because “our Navy is smaller than it’s been since 1917. Our Air Force is smaller and older than any time since 1947.”
8. “We’re only inches away from no longer being a free economy.”
9. President Obama “went around the world and apologized for America.”
10. “We’re inches away from no longer having a free economy.”
11. “A few months into office, (President Barack Obama) traveled around the globe to apologize for America.”
12. “We are only inches away from ceasing to be a free market economy.”
13. “I don’t describe your plan as amnesty in my ad. I don’t call it amnesty.”
14. “In one year, (President Obama) provided $90 billion in breaks to the green energy world … into solar and wind, to Solyndra and Fisker and Tesla and Ener1.”
15. Says President Obama has “doubled” the deficit.
16. “Right now, the (Congressional Budget Office) says up to 20 million people will lose their insurance as Obamacare goes into effect next year.”
17. When Mitt Romney was governor of Massachusetts, “we didn’t just slow the rate of growth of our government, we actually cut it.”
18. “Only one president has ever cut Medicare for seniors in this country . . . Barack Obama.”
19. Says Barack Obama “never worked in the private sector” before he was elected president.
20. “I don’t have lobbyists running my campaign.”
BARACK OBAMA LIES
1. Says Mitt Romney “called the Arizona law a model for the nation.”
2. “Under Gov. Romney’s definition … Donald Trump is a small business.”
3. “Over the last four years, the deficit has gone up, but 90 percent of that is as a consequence of” President George W. Bush’s policies and the recession.
4. “Fast and Furious” began under the Bush administration.
5. Mitt Romney “says the Arizona immigration law should be a model for the nation.”
6. Says Mitt Romney would deny gay people the right to adopt children.
7. “The only time government employment has gone down during a recession has been under me.”
8. “Under the Romney/Ryan budget, interest rates on federal student loans would be allowed to double.”
9. If the Supreme Court throws out the federal health care law, it “would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress.”
10. “For the first time since 1990, American manufacturers are creating new jobs.”
11. “Preventive care … saves money, for families, for businesses, for government, for everybody.”
12. “Thirty million Americans, including a lot of people in Florida, are going to be able to get healthcare next year because of that law.”
13. “I made a bunch of these promises during the campaign. … We’ve got about 60 percent done in three years.”
14. Under President Barack Obama, the United States has “doubled our exports.”
15. Says stories about his birth certificate drowned out media coverage of the Republican and White House budget plans the week of April 11.
16. The president’s proposed budget “will help reduce the deficit by $400 billion over the next decade to the lowest level since Dwight Eisenhower was president.”
17. Under the White House’s budget proposal, “we will not be adding more to the national debt” by the middle of the decade.
18. Twelve judges have thrown out legal challenges to the health care law because they rejected “the notion that the health care law was unconstitutional.”
19. “I didn’t raise taxes once.”
20. “No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration.”
There will be a final debate on November 5 at 9pm EST and you can watch it here
I personally can’t trust either one of them. In my opinion I think the pressure will be too difficult on both of them and they will have to give back favors to their top campaign contributors. When this kind of money is involved, there is no way you can be honest all the time